As a homeowner in Saskatchewan, you have probably heard about board and batten siding. Board and batten siding has been used for over 200 years, dating back to the time of early American settlers. Initially, this style of siding was used for practical purposes as a more efficient alternative to the log cabin. The wide boards and battens were easy to mill and install, and the vertical design helped to keep out drafts and moisture. However, over time, board and batten siding became more than just a practical solution - it became a popular design choice that added character and charm to homes. Its rustic, traditional look has stood the test of time, and it remains a popular choice for Saskatchewan homeowners today. But what are the benefits of board and batten siding, and what makes it such an excellent option for Saskatchewan homes? The exterior siding experts at United Exteriors are here to tell you! In this blog post, we will discuss what board and batten siding is, its benefits, and some maintenance tips to keep it looking great for years to come. Read on to learn more!
What is Board and Batten Siding?
Board and batten siding is a style of exterior siding that consists of alternating wide boards (the "boards") and narrow strips of wood (the "battens"). The boards used in this siding style are typically 6 to 8 inches wide and can be made of various materials, including wood, vinyl, and fibre cement. Meanwhile, the battens used in the design are typically about 2 inches wide and are installed over the seams between the boards to create a tight seal that helps to keep out moisture and insects. Our installation method also allows for the natural expansion and contraction of the boards with temperature and humidity changes, which helps prevent warping or cracking over time. The vertical orientation of the boards and battens creates a distinct, textured look that can add depth and interest to a home's exterior. This style of siding has a timeless charm that can give your home a classic and elegant appearance that will last for years to come.
What are the Benefits of Board and Batten Siding?
Board and batten siding offers many benefits for Saskatchewan homeowners. Some of the best benefits of board and batten siding are:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Board and batten siding has a unique and rustic appearance that adds character and charm to any home's exterior. It's vertical design and wide boards create a textured look that can enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of a home. Not only does board and batten siding improve your home's curb appeal, but it can also increase its value!
- Durability: Board and siding is made from high-quality materials that are designed to withstand Sakatchewan's harsh weather conditions, including wind, rain, and snow. Properly installed and maintained, board and batten siding can last for decades, making it a cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Energy Efficiency: The thick boards and tight seams of board and batten siding help insulate your home, reducing heating and cooling costs. This is especially beneficial for Saskatchewan's hot summers and frigid winters, where energy costs can be high.
- Customization: Board and batten siding can be customized with various colours and finishes, making it easy to create a personalized look that complements your home's style.
- Low Maintenance: Board and batten siding is relatively low maintenance, requiring only regular cleaning with a mild soap and water solution. Inspecting the siding regularly for any signs of damage and repairing any damage as soon as possible can help to prevent further issues.
With so many benefits, it's easy to see why board and batten siding has remained a popular option for homeowners. Whether you want to upgrade your home's look or increase its energy efficiency, board and batten siding is the perfect option.
How to Clean and Maintain Board and Batten Siding
- Regular Cleaning: It's essential to clean your board and batten siding regularly to prevent dirt and grime from building up. Use a mild soap and water solution and a soft-bristled brush to scrub away any dirt or debris.
- Inspect for Damage: Regularly inspect your siding for any signs of damage, such as cracks or splits. If you notice any damage, it's essential to repair it right away to prevent further damage.
- Repainting: Over time, your board and batten siding may need to be repainted to keep it looking fresh and vibrant. When it's time to repaint, be sure to choose a high-quality paint designed for exterior use.
United Exteriors Can Help You With Board and Batten Siding in Saskatchewan
Board and batten siding is a versatile and durable siding option that can enhance the look of any home. Its unique, rustic style, durability, and energy efficiency make it a popular choice for Saskatchewan homeowners. At United Exteriors, we have years of experience installing and repairing board and batten siding in Saskatchewan. Our experienced siding contractors have the expertise to install your siding quickly and efficiently! If you're looking to upgrade your home with board and batten siding, contact United Exteriors today!