Winters in Regina are no joke. Heavy Snow and strong winds can cause a lot of damage to your home's siding. Knowing the signs and having your siding repaired early on can prevent more expensive problems down the road. You may be wondering, what are the signs of winter siding damage in Regina? In this blog, we'll go over the most common signs of winter siding damage. Read on to learn more!
Signs of Damage in Different Siding Materials
Siding is an important part of your home. Without it, your walls would be exposed, and you and your family would be exposed to the elements. This is why it's important to ensure your siding is in good condition, not just in the winter but all year long. Let's look at some signs of winter damage in different types of siding:
Vinyl: Vinyl is a popular siding material because it is durable and low maintenance. However, Saskatchewan's frigid temperatures can cause low-quality vinyl siding to become brittle and crack. To ensure this doesn't happen, get your siding upgraded by United Exteriors! The vinyl siding we use is supplied by high-quality manufacturers and built to last! Our vinyl siding is highly resistant to weather, warping, cracks, and moisture damage!
Wood: Wood siding is popular with many homeowners in Saskatchewan because of its timeless look. Sometimes winter weather conditions like snow can wear down the finish on wood siding and leave it exposed to moisture. If the wood siding is not properly sealed, chipped paint, rot, and mildew can become common problems. At United Exteriors, we always ensure wood siding is installed correctly and sealed, so you don't experience these issues.
Fibre Cement: Fibre cement siding is made to stand the test of time. However, fibre cement siding panels can become loose after winter storms. Because of its durability, fibre cement is popular with many homeowners in Saskatchewan. It is less prone to issues like cracking, warping and rotting than other types of siding. At United Exteriors, we only use the highest quality fibre cement siding and always ensure the installation is top-notch.
Aluminum: Aluminum siding is one of the most durable siding options, but if you have low-quality aluminum siding installed on your home, it can rust and potentially warp over time. At United Exteriors, our aluminum siding is designed to stand up to Saskatchewan's wild weather.
The Most Common Signs of Winter Siding Damage in Saskatchewan
The signs of winter siding damage will differ by type. However, there are some common signs between them that indicate your siding is damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced:
- Missing or Loose Pieces: Winter storms in Regina usually come with strong winds. This can cause pieces of your siding to become loose or go missing. Loose or missing siding panels leave your home exposed to moisture and freezing temperatures. This is an easy sign to spot. If you notice missing or loose siding panels, contact United Exteriors as soon as possible to have them repaired.
- Moisture in your Home: If you notice moisture in your home (particularly the walls), your siding may be damaged. Moisture build-up in your can lead to mould growth and water damage. If you see signs of excess moisture around the exterior walls of your home, contact United to check your siding and ensure it is not damaged.
- Warping: Warping is a problem that mainly occurs with wood siding, but it can happen to any siding material. Moisture is the main cause of warped siding. Warped siding can lead to water damage and mould growth on and inside your home. If you see signs or warped siding on your home, contact United Exteriors as soon as possible!
- Cracks and Holes: The winter weather in Regina can cause just about any material to crack, especially cheap or old vinyl siding. When low-quality vinyl freezes, pressure can cause it to crack, snap or break. Damaged vinyl siding can let moisture, cold wind, and insects into your home. If you notice cracks or holes in your siding, contact United, and we can replace it with high-quality vinyl siding.
- High Heating Bills: If you find that your heating bill keeps increasing, it can be a sign of old or damaged siding that is no longer properly insulating your home. Properly installed siding helps regulate your home's temperature. If it is damaged, it can cause uncomfortable conditions in your home. If you suspect old or damaged siding is causing your heating bill to go up, contact United Exteriors as soon as possible!
United Exterior Can Help You with Siding Repairs and Replacement in Regina
Siding damage can cause big problems for your home. That's why it is important to know what signs to look for so you can take care of any problems before it's too late. At United Exteriors, we offer siding installation and siding repairs to homeowners in Regina and the surrounding area. We know how important it is to do the job right the first time. If you need siding repairs or a siding replacement, contact us today!